Tortured Souls: Six Destinies
Book Four: The Surgeon of the Sacred Heart
- A transformer of flesh whose work has a "bacterial brightness". He transformed both Lucidique and Zarles Kreiger. After killing the Emperor, the Scythe-Meister saw him in the desert and Agonistes told him Lucidique was the only thing that could make him happy.
- General Bogoto
- One of three Generals who took charge of running Primordium after the Great Insurrection. He was a violent sadist yet possessed a "sickly sentimentality" focused on his mother as well as "a startling capacity for superstition". He met with Urbano and Montefalco and they decided to rid the city of anything unnatural. Montefalco took him to see Talisac where he asked how the Doctor got himself pregnant. If Talisac provided them with a monster of their own he didn't care how many children Talisac had as long as they were kept away from him.
- "A female dwarf" who acted as Talisac's assistant. She guided the Generals down into Talisac's laboratory where she translated Talisac's mumblings.
- Kreiger, Zarles
- See The Scythe-Meister.
- After Agonistes transformed her she returned to Primordium and slaughtered the head Don before returning to her father's house. At night she would go out into the back-alleys of Primordium and, one night, she was re-united with the Scythe-Meister. She slept with him and believed it felt taboo as they were "both Agonites' children". When the Scythe-Meister wanted them to leave Primordium she persuaded him to stay and see how the events they began would end.
- Talisac's unborn child. It moved around inside "A semi-translucent bag hung from the lower portion of [Talisac's] abdomen, down between his spidery legs".
- General Montefalco
- One of three Generals who took charge of running Primordium after the Great Insurrection. He was a violent sadist yet possessed a "sickly sentimentality" focused on "girls of six or seven" as well as "a startling capacity for superstition". He met with Urbano and Bogoto and they decided to rid the city of anything unnatural. He installed Talisac in a laboratory under the Hospice of the Sacred Heart after having the nuns removed. He took Bogoto and Urbano there to see if Talisac could provide them with a creature "that will drive the unholy elements out of Primordium". He agreed not to harm Talisac's Mongroid as long as he was given his own creature.
- The Scythe-Meister
Also: Zarles Kreiger
- After Agonistes transformed him into the Scythe-Meister, Zarles Kreiger
killed the Emperor and his entire family. The "machinations of his flesh had
been bound to Agoniste's own creations. Silver bonded with bone and nerve;
gold and bronze the same"" and his flesh had a "sickly luminescence... a bacterial
brightness". Parts of his body were designed never to heal. After his slaughter,
The Scythe-Meister returned to the desert to meditate on his new form. Here
he met Agonistes who told him he would only find happiness with Lucidique.
They made love in her dead father's home, the Scythe-Meister wanted to leave
Primordium but Lucidique persuaded him to stay until the cities end.
- Dr Talisac
- Dr Talisac was a scientist hired by Montefalco to create the perfect soldier, Monterfalco had him hidden in a secret laboratory beneath the Hospice of the Sacred Heart. "[Talisac] hung by his mouth from a device whose purpose was beyond... comprehension, his mouth hooked up, as though he were a fish... he had created some kind of external womb for himself. A semi-translucent bah hung from the lower portion of his abdomen, down between his spidery legs". His maimed mouth meant he could not communicate well and his assistant, Camille, translated for him. "The dead were Talisac's raw material" and "he was an unenonomic consumer" tkaing only small pieces from each body. He told Bogoto he got himself pregnant through science. He promised to build them a fiend to rid Primordium of monsters if they promised to leave his child alone. He also asked that General Montefalco come alone on his next visit.
- General Urbano
- One of three Generals who took charge of running Primordium after the Great Insurrection. He was a violent sadist yet possessed a "sickly sentimentality" focused on his mother as well as "a startling capacity for superstition". He met with Bogoto and Montefalco and they decided to rid the city of anything unnatural. Montefalco took him to see Talisac.
- The Scythe-Meister meditated on his changed state and spoke to Agonistes here.
- Dreyfus Hill
- The location of The Hospice of the Sacred Heart.
- The Hospice of the Sacred Heart
- "An enormous edifice, it's upper floors in darkness". General Montefalco had the nuns that lived here removed by his men who abused them. He hid Talisac here and had trespassers "killed and thrown in the canal".
- Laboratory, Talisac's
- "His [Talisac's] workspace had been dug out of the earth so as to accommodate the scale of the Doctor's experimentation and still preserve the secrey of the location". Found under The Hospice of the Sacred Heart, down two flights of stairs, the laboratory stank of the grave and was littered with corpses that served as Talisac's raw material.
- A city "inundated in unholy matters". It has an "illegal immigrant quarter" and General Urbanao believed "this damned city is haunted".
- Great Insurrection
- When the Emperor and his entire family died at the hands of the Scythe-Meister.
- The leaders of "the Military junta that had taken charge of the running
of the city" following the Great Insurrection. It consisted of Generals Bogoto,
Urbano and Montefalco.
||The Emperor and his family are slaughtered by the Scythe-Meister.
|Post Great Insurrection
Generals Montefalco, Urbano and Bogoto take charge of Primordium.
The Generals decide to rid Primordium of demonic forces. Lucidique goes out and is reunited with the Scythe-Meister. They make love at her father's house.
Montefalco takes the other Generals to see Dr Talisac. He promises to give them their own field if they do not harm his unborn child. The Scythe-Meister asks Lucidique to leave Primordium but she persuades him to stay.
Tortured Souls: Six Destinies, Book Four: The Surgeon
of the Sacred Heart by Clive Barker
Copyright © Cenobitical Productions
DO NOT use any part of this page without permission from Scarecrow